Date(s) - 13 Aug 2016
1:00 PM - 3:00 PM
END THE SIEGE ON GAZA!
END THE ARMS TRADE WITH ISRAEL!
Saturday Aug 13 – 1pm till 3pm at the Clock Tower
Themed stall to commemorate the 10th anniversary of the siege of Gaza
This will be our local commemoration to mark ten years of the brutal siege of Gaza, including the assault in 2014. We’ll have special banners, leaflets, visual displays etc. We’ll be encouraging the public to sign our ‘Stop Arming Israel’ petition, calling on the UK government to impose an immediate two-way arms embargo of Israel. Join us!
Gaza – The Facts
- For ten years, the densely populated Gaza Strip has been besieged by Israel by air, land and sea. 1.8 million Palestinians, mostly refugees, are trapped in the narrow strip of land.
- Palestinians in Gaza continue to face a humanitarian catastrophe.
- Israel’s last major assault on Gaza in 2014 killed more than 2,200 Palestinians, including more than 500 children.
- Around 100,000 Palestinians are still homeless, having been displaced within Gaza during the 2014 Israeli assault.
- There have been 3 major military assaults by Israeli forces in the last 8 years.
- Gaza’s children are severely traumatised after years of siege and brutal military assaults, with the majority suffering from mental health issues.
- Hospitals don’t have essential supplies, including medicines. 95% of Gaza’s water is unsafe for consumption.
- Over 80% of people in Gaza depend on aid to meet their basic needs. There is also an almost total ban on imports into and exports from Gaza.